3-Day Black History, Underground Railroad & Civil Rights Tour To Detroit, Michigan
This trip travels to the USA. Passports required.
Embark on a profound and educational exploration of Black history with our meticulously curated 3-day Black History, Underground Railroad & Civil Rights Tour from Toronto to Detroit, Michigan.
Included on this tour is a guided experience at the Second Baptist Church. When it comes to Detroit’s role in the Underground Railroad, not much is more historically significant than the Second Baptist Church. The safe house in the church’s basement, known to escaping slaves as the “Croghan Street Station,” is one of the only remaining documented Detroit stations on the Underground Railroad still in existence today. Significant figures in the abolitionist movement were associated with the church, such as Soujourner Truth, John Brown, and Frederick Douglass. You will get to experience the solemn atmosphere of this historic sanctuary, where the echoes of liberation still linger.
You will also delve into the narratives of resilience and cultural significance at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African-American History. The Wright is considered the world’s largest institution dedicated to the African-American experience. Key to that experience is the museum’s 22,000-sq.-ft. interactive “And Still We Rise: Our Journey through African American History and Culture” exhibit.
We will be having a group lunch at Bert's Marketplace, a unique experience in itself. One of the main attractions of this Black Owned venue are two vibrant, hallway-length murals painted by Curtis Lewis that cover black history in Detroit, from the black bottom neighborhood to important figures in entertainment, sports, and civil rights. And then of course there's the menu, a homage to the black history of the area - it combines delicious southern classics like fried chicken, catfish, mac & cheese, yams, collard greens combined with slow cooked BBQ gems such as pulled pork.
We continue our journey with a guided tour at the Detroit Historical Society and their Civil Rights exhibits that chronicle the ongoing pursuit of justice and freedom.
No visit to Detroit would be complete with a visit to the Motown Museum, a testament to the powerful role of music in the struggle for equality. The museum stands as a hallowed ground for music enthusiasts, offering a glimpse into the iconic record label's legacy. Housed in the original Hitsville U.S.A. building, visitors step into the very studios where legendary artists like Stevie Wonder and The Supremes crafted the timeless sounds that defined an era.
We hope that you return from this tour with a renewed understanding of the enduring quest for equality and justice in the face of historical challenges.
March 14-16, 2024
Only $99 deposit to reserve your seat. Deposit fully refundable if you cancel for any reason by Feb 15, 2024.
All prices are per person, in Canadian dollars. All taxes and tips are included!
For explanation of the words Double, Triple, Quad & Single click here
7:00 AM Vaughan Carpool Lot
7:45 AM York Mills Station
8:20 AM Mississauga Carpool
8:35 AM Mississauga McDonalds
10:05 AM Kitchener Carpool Lot
11:05 AM London Flying J
To book over the phone
please call (866) 208-2950
- Round trip transportation on deluxe highway bus with a washroom.
- Two nights hotel accommodations at the deluxe Best Western Greenfield Inn, Allen Park, MI.
- Two buffet breakfasts, one lunch and one dinner included.
- Admission and guided tour at the Second Baptist Church included.
- Admission and guided tour at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African-American History included.
- Admission to the Detroit Historical Society included.
- Admission to the Motown Museum included.
- Stop at Duty Free shop on return to Canada.
- Escorted tour with ShortTrips.ca tour director available during the tour.
- All tips and taxes included.
Approx Return Times
- London 5:40 PM
- Kitchener 6:50 PM
- Mississauga Carpool 8:30 PM
- Mississauga McDonalds 8:45 PM
- York Mills 9:10 PM
- Vaughan 9:40 PM
Deposits, Payments, Cancellations & Refunds
- $99 deposit required to reserve your seats. Deposit is fully refundable if you cancel for any reason by Feb 15, 2024.
- Full payment is due by Feb 15, 2024. Reminder emails will be sent a few days before the due date for the final payment. Sorry, final payments are not refundable once paid.
- If the tour has to be cancelled due to travel restrictions or government shutdowns, a full & prompt refund will be done regardless of how many days are left before departure.
- You can transfer your seat to anyone else you know up to the time of departure without penalty, there is no cost for name changes.
Travelling With Children
- Children 10+ are welcome on this tour, same price as adults.
- US Immigration requires that all travellers MUST have a passport (or Nexus or EDL cards). If you do not have a Canadian or USA passport, please make sure that you have the appropriate permissions or documentation to travel to the USA.
- If you are denied entry to the US, sadly we will have to leave you at the border.
- Sorry but no refunds if you are denied entry.
- Emergency medical and trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended. Getting ill in the USA can be very expensive.
- If you are not covered by a workplace or some other blanket travel/medical insurance policy, please consider purchasing emergency medical insurance online from CAA or TD Insurance or RBC Insurance or Manulife.