Western New York State "Underground Railroad" and Black History Tour
Western & Central New York State was a hotbed of activity on the "Underground Railroad" from 1840 to 1860, assisting slaves escaping from the US South to eventual freedom in Ontario and the northern US states.
To commemorate Black History Month, we have put together this eye-opening and educational 2-day trip to learn more about the "Underground Railroad" in this part of New York State.
The "Underground Railroad" wasn't really a railroad of course -- it was called that because the escaping slaves were called passengers; the homes, businesses and churches where they were sheltered were stations, and those who guided them were conductors. The fact that the Underground Railroad existed at all is because men and women put their homes, wealth and sometimes even their lives on the line for a cause they believed in. So please join us to discover more about the routes, the methods, the iconic venues and the notable individuals who, at great risk to themselves, made it possible and along which perhaps as many as 100,000 fugitive slaves escaped to freedom.
Feb 16-17, 2020
(Family Day Long Weekend)
All prices are per person, in Canadian dollars. All taxes and tips are included!
To book over the phone
please call (866) 208-2950
This tour travels to the USA. Passports required!
- Round trip transportation on deluxe bus with a washroom and WiFi.
- 1 night hotel accommodation at the fabulous Del Lago Resort & Casino.
- 1 dinner buffet, 1 lunch buffet & 1 hot breakfast included.
- Admission and guided tour at Niagara Falls NY Underground Railroad Heritage Center included.
- Admission and guided tour at the Onondaga Historical Association Museum included.
- Admission and guided tour at the Seward House Museum included.
- Visit and self-guided tour at the New York State Equal Rights Heritage Center included.
- Guided bus tour of Auburn, NY with local tour guide. Includes visits to the Auburn Presbyterian Church, the Harriet Tubman grave site (weather and road conditions permitting) and the AME Zion Church.
- Complimentary bottled water and snacks.
- Escorted tour with ShortTrips.ca tour director available during tour.
- All tips & taxes included!
- 8:30 AM - Vaughan Carpool Lot, Colossus Dr. & Hwy 7
- 9:00 AM - York Mills Station
- 9:30 AM - Mississauga Carpool Lot, Hwy 401 & Hurontario
- 10:05 AM - Oakville/Burlington Appleby Line Carpool Lot
- 10:40 AM - Grimsby Carpool Lot, QEW & Casablanca Blvd.
- 11:30 AM - St. Catharines/Niagara-On-The-Lake McDonalds @ QEW & Glendale Ave
Approximate Return Times
- St. Catharines/Niagara-On-The-Lake 7:50 PM
- Grimsby 8:25 PM
- Appleby Line 9:15 PM
- Mississauga 9:45 PM
- York Mills 10:15 PM
- Vaughan 10:45 PM
Deposits, Payments, Cancellations & Refunds
- 100% full refund if you cancel at least 30 days before the trip departure date.
- Sorry but no refunds if cancellation is received less then 30 days before trip departure date.
- You can transfer your seat to anyone else you know up to the time of departure without penalty.
Travelling With Children
- Sorry but this tour is restricted to adults 21+.
- We do not charge single supplements or surcharges! Are you travelling by yourself? If you are willing to share your room, we guarantee to find you a roommate of the same gender or we pay the surcharge!
- If you prefer to have a private room by yourself, that is not a problem, please select the Single Occupancy option and pay the single supplement.
- US Immigration requires that all travellers MUST have a passport (or Nexus or EDL cards). If you do not have a Canadian or USA passport, please make sure that you have the appropriate permissions or documentation to travel to the USA.
- If you are denied entry to the US, sadly we will have to leave you at the border.
- Sorry but no refunds if you are denied entry.
Emergency Medical/Travel Insurance
- Emergency medical and trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended. Getting ill in the USA can be very expensive.
- If you are not covered by a workplace or other policy, we recommend that you purchase insurance for this trip.
- Both CAA and RBC Insurance sell such insurance online or you can also call Marville Travel at (905) 891-0111 and one of the agents will be pleased to assist you.